Badgers are brilliant because they are black, white and cute all over.
Why badgers are brill
Badgers are fantastic here are some reasons why:
- The scientific name for badgers is Meles meles
- Like humans, badgers are omnivorous, although unlike us, they eat several hundred earthworms every night
- An adult badger can grow up to 36 inches long and usually weighs from 22 to 27 lbs
- Badgers are largely nocturnal, normally shy, retiring animals that live in social or family groups
- Hat's off to the badgers - they don't fight
- Badgers are closely related to otters, stoats, weasels, polecats and pine martens
- The main enemy of badgers is people. Acts of Parliament make it illegal for any person to kill, or injure badgers
- The mating process involves "delayed implantation". Although females are able to mate any time after the cubs are born the fertilised egg does not implant in the uterus until December.
- Because worms bodies are segmented into separate sections, with each section mostly made up of water, a badger can get all of their moisture from eating them without having to drink at all.
- Earthworms make up about half of a badgers diet
- British badgers almost certainly do not hibernate, but they may spend a few days underground to conserve energy if temperatures fall considerably and food is difficult to find.
- American badgers have been recorded to spend up to 70 days underground, but it is not proven that their heartbeat slows considerably and that they enter full hibernation.
Love me for I am cute, adorable and badgery. I am the definition badger-tude my friends. Badger-tude!
Even more about this brill topic.
Read more about badgers
Badger links - read more about badgers